Sit Stand Desks: Why do you need them?July 17, 2018
Sit/Stand Desks are quickly becoming a workplace must have
Desks have remained relatively unchanged for decades, yet the workflow and tools that we use have changed considerably. As a result, today’s office workers now face problems with the design of most desks. There is more need than ever for a simple yet sophisticated ergonomic solution. Height-adjustable tables and sit stand desks can alleviate much of this stress.
Not only are there amazing health benefits, but studies also have shown an increase in productivity due to less break time.
What to look for in a sit stand desk
Problems with some sit stand desks in the past have been a requirement to use an electric motor, a lack of height adjustability and weight accommodation, an absence of a safety mechanism and slow mechanisms that make the table difficult for users to adjust.
Here are some of the things to look out for when purchasing a sit stand desk:
- Ease of use is key – even employees who are provided with a height-adjustable, sit/stand desk are potentially unlikely to take the time to raise and lower it throughout the day if it is difficult to do so.
- Knee clearance is another valuable trait in a sit/stand desk; a height-adjustable table should not have obstructions.
- To maximise a height-adjustable desk’s ergonomic potential, a wide range of height adjustability is extremely important.
- The sit stand desk must have ample weight accommodation, meaning it should easily accommodate the weight that is common to the individual’s workflow.
- Safety is something that should also be considered. Incorrect adjustments and poor safety mechanisms to ensure safe usage can be hazardous.
Height-adjustable tables or sit/stand desks have proven to be highly beneficial, in terms of health, as well as increased productivity. When choosing a height-adjustable table, make sure you consider all of the main factors that will affect how employees will use the desk and what they will find most comfortable when using their sit/stand desk.